Author Topic: What a day......  (Read 2297 times)

Chris

• View Profile
What a day......
« on: May 26, 2016, 05:42:08 PM »
Last weekend I caught up with my brother and nephew in Cortez. They are visiting from Germany and I wanted to guide them up the Moki Dugway and hike in Natural Bridges. After a fun day we set up camp just outside the park near the Bears Ears. I went on a little exploratory ride after dinner and ran into a couple of guys who told me about this great dirt road over the pass to Monticello that was in good shape right now. Early the next morning I headed into the unknown with the intention to grab breakfast in Montoicello. I won't bore you with deatails but after wrestling the little Sportster through miles of 16 inch ruts and two river crossings that would have made any east coast Adventure Rider proud I ended up pretty much where I started.......39miles earlier. ::giggle
Breakfast turned into lunch and with a strong tailwind I sailed north towards La Salle Junction. What happened next will be forever etched in my mind. A truck with a large stock trailer was coming my way in the opposite lane when the gate to his trailer broke loose and cow after cow tumbled onto the highway in front of me. A little calf  was the first and hit hard, then his mamma and ten more after that. I managed to get stopped without hitting one and tried to slow  down traffic. Eventually all but the little feller got up and ran of the road. A rental motor home with some tourists blocked the road for me and I sat with the little black guy rubbing him and trying to get him up. After what seemed forever I told him that the boss was walking towards us and that he might end up as veal parmesan soon. He was bloody all over. With that he suddenly decided to give it a try and stood up. We managed  to move his legs for him and literally pushed him in the ditch. I think he'll be ok and I motored on.... towards Ridgeway where an old man in a pickup ran the stop sign coming down from Placerville. Somehow I had a hunch and was ready. After painting a nice black stripe on the pavement my ABS foot released and I came to a stop about five feet from his fender.
The expression on his face told me he was sorry and I motored on once more. I've never been more careful riding through Montrose and finally made it home in one piece. 
Other than that it was a good day  :banana
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:50:58 PM by Chris »

Blanketchief

• View Profile
Re: What a day......
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 09:29:23 PM »
WOW!

mechanista

• The OTHER Rick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 08:16:12 AM »
Hey! You know the rules!
Pictures, or it didn't happen!
Glad you made it through all that without getting hurt.
Who are the grateful dead? And why do they keep following me?

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 10:55:32 AM »
Hey! You know the rules!
Pictures, or it didn't happen!
Glad you made it through all that without getting hurt.

I should have gone with you guys . how was your trip?

mechanista

• The OTHER Rick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 01:36:14 PM »
well...
Two words: food poisoning!
Who are the grateful dead? And why do they keep following me?

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 02:25:55 PM »
well...
Two words: food poisoning!

Oh no, that's the shits  ::giggle

My week is not improving much, I got into some poison ivy and ended up in the emergency  room with my eyes swelled shut. I guess I'm a little allergic  :crying