Author Topic: Temp Gas Tank  (Read 1787 times)

Denny K

• Kill the one with the sword first...R. Shaftoe
    • View Profile
Temp Gas Tank
« on: May 02, 2016, 05:59:46 PM »
Folks,
I am looking a temp gas tank, like a bottle I can hang, for a re-start of our 1974 CB750K engine.  I found this bike in Montrose a while ago.  Got is on the road for some short rides last year and then tore it down.  Did a top end the engine, powder coated the frame and essentially have rebuilt it from there.  I have met a lot of great folks around town that have really helped me out.  Chris J. got me started on this "hobby" when he sold me a '71 CB750 cheap, it has a seized engine and is still a future café project.  Chris introduced me to Lynn P. who has helped me and there are a couple of other guys Tom B. and especially Robert K. who have given me a lot of support.

My goal is to get the bike in the upcoming show on June 4.  Need to finish the oil system, install the 4-2 exhaust system, new chain and start this baby up.  Then finish up the tank and side panels. 

I have not been a big contributor here, but I do participate in the SOHC Forum quite a bit. 

Chris

• View Profile
Re: Temp Gas Tank
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 09:53:21 PM »
An old lawn mower tank works pretty good, you can probably get a little plastic one at a small engine repair scrap pile for free .
Glad you're almost done, looking forward to seeing it ::wrench

Denny K

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 07:44:33 AM »
Thanks Chris, I will do some scrounging.  Looking forward to seeing you at the show.   

lookintuff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 06:31:58 PM »
Denny,
I have 5 restores in differing stages. One is a 71 cb750. I am interested in some of the original parts from yours if you will be selling them. Let me know what you may want to sell and provide photos if you want.
Dave

Denny K

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 07:29:15 PM »
Dave,

Whoa, 5 project in progress; I can hardly keep a focus on this one.  So here is the situation with our '71 CB750.  Some previous owner decided he wanted a chopper, so the bike came with ape hangers, a sissy bar (available free to anyone who wants it) and a Harley rear wheel.  In addition the engine is seized and a number of the fins are broken.  The bike does have a Colorado title.  Our plan if we can save the engine is to café this bike; so I have already sold the fenders, stays, signal lights, tach and speedo and the bridge.  I did this through SOHC Forum which is dedicated to CB bikes from 1969 through 1980 or so.  I am happy to show you what remains.

Denny K

lookintuff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 09:06:23 PM »
Denny,

It sounds like you have very little of the original bike left.
I am doing an original restore on the 71 as well as the other 4.
The others are a 72 CB750, 74 CB550, 76 GL1000, and 81 KZ1300.
I hope to be riding the GL and the KZ this summer.
I may make it to the show in June. I'll ride my 82 CB900 if I do.

Dave

Denny K

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 09:32:24 PM »
Folks,
I took advice from several of you and fabricated my own temp fuel tank.  Made it from an old tank from a weed eater.  Got the engine restarted the other day and hope to be out on the road soon and also at the show on June 4.

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 09:56:10 PM »
Very cool! innovation at its best  ::wrench
79' Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special "The Daytona"
74' Yamaha RD350 "The Little Hot Rod"...currently under the knife.
02' Aprilia Capo Nord "The Mighty Ape"
93' Kawasaki KZ1000 Police cafe' "Snoopy"

Have a good and Godly day, for what lasting value is a good day if it is not also a Godly day?

Clyde

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 05:57:31 PM »
 I use an radiator over flow from A.Z. comes complete with a metal cage $9.00