Author Topic: suggestion on entry level paint gun- kit  (Read 1921 times)

nojibski

• View Profile
suggestion on entry level paint gun- kit
« on: December 07, 2015, 06:10:20 PM »
just like the title says;
will be used for motorcycle size jobs
this will be my first attempt, i am really just looking for a starting point
if i can get the info together soon enough, i might be able to have santa help me with this one
thanks for any suggestions

Chris

• View Profile
Re: suggestion on entry level paint gun- kit
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 06:49:45 PM »
I've used a couple of Harbor Freight guns that were on sale for 10 bucks. Worked ok the first time, even after thorough cleaning it never worked right again.
Second time I just sprayed and threw the gun in the trash. Third time I bought a $70 gun at Hightower Paint Supply and it's much better and can actually
be reused and is worth cleaning. There are guys on here that actually know how to paint  :grin:   I'm sure they'll have good advice

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 07:29:59 PM »
You know me, and know that I am going to say that prep is EVERYTHING, the after that it just depends on the material you are spraying and how much sanding you want to do. Single stage paints will require a much nicer gun, where a base coat/clear coat method will be a lot more forgiving. Keep in mind a cheaper gun will have you sanding a lot more, but will do the job. Home Depot sells a "Husky" brand that is not bad for about $70 for the kit, and will last for a few paint jobs. I recently bought one for spraying latex paint on a cabinet for work with the intention of just pitching it after I was done, but I think it is going to last a bit longer. It will probably give you a decent job for base/clear, and last for a few projects. I have been using a Delvilbis "Finish Line" for work spraying laquer on cabinets and other fine woodworking jobs, and it is also the gun I have been using to paint motorcycle bodywork. You can get into this set up for just over $200, and it will give you nice results. However, I really don't want to do any more paint jobs with it because it is starting to go down hill. It is still ok for spraying laquer on less important jobs, but really needs to be replaced. I have been using it several years. I would highly recommend this set up for anyone that wants to do the occasional paint job, and it will last quite a long time. If you can swing a Sharpe or Iwata.....in the $600 range, then you will be hearing from me because I will be asking to borrow it! A Sharpe or Iwata will be my next gun.

Here is the Devilbis Finish Line gun I have been using:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/DEV-FLG-678.html?sc=120&category=2664951#.VmZALTZdG70
79' Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special "The Daytona"
74' Yamaha RD350 "The Little Hot Rod"...currently under the knife.
02' Aprilia Capo Nord "The Mighty Ape"
93' Kawasaki KZ1000 Police cafe' "Snoopy"

Have a good and Godly day, for what lasting value is a good day if it is not also a Godly day?

2slow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 07:34:04 PM »
Devilbiss has a nice little set that offers a small gun and a large gun plus all the cleaning brushes and some different tips Eastwood has the kit for about a 150 bucks Sata is probably one of the best you can buy I preffer the Iwata guns just as good as the Sata's but alot cheaper if ya need parts for it

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 06:50:48 AM »
Oops, good call Bob, I was thinking Sata when I said Sharpe. Sharpe does make a good gun, and will be in the price range of the Devilbis Finish line series.

Have a good and Godly day, for what lasting value is a good day if it is not also a Godly day?

nojibski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 07:10:54 AM »
thanks for all the info!
possible limiting factor:
my air compressor; 2HP,2.6 Gallon,3.3cfm@ 90psi

-very small, alone it doesnt have a chance but, what if i use one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/11-gallon-portable-air-tank-65595.html

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 06:35:29 AM »
As long as your compressor can keep it filled and keep up. Once you start spraying, you cant really keep stopping to let the compressor catch up. You need to hold your volume and pressure levels consistent from start to finish. If the pressure drops mid pass, the material will just start spitting out and most likely ruin your paint job.

nojibski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 06:49:35 AM »
thanks Rick!
a bit more than i wanted to spend but, sounds like a higher quality gun that i was looking at previously
-more importantly, seems very conservative on air

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-concours-pro-2-gun-set-w-aluminum-case.html