Author Topic: RD400 Daytona Special - Got Front Caliper?  (Read 1638 times)

vmontijo

• View Profile
RD400 Daytona Special - Got Front Caliper?
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:03:25 PM »
Hello guys and gals... I have an 1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special that I picked up about 20 years ago as a restoration project... finally time to get started on it... all complete and bone stock except its missing the Front Caliper.  As near as I can tell, these are unique to this bike - is that right? and about as hard to find as a hen's teeth! Anyone know where I can find one? I expect to rebuild it, so condition is not an issue... Is the caliper used on any other Yamaha models?
Thank you all in advance for your help!
 Victor Montijo

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: RD400 Daytona Special - Got Front Caliper?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 06:25:52 AM »
Hi Victor, welcome aboard  8)

As far as the Daytona's front brake, your best bet is to scour E Bay. The XS400's also share the same brakes if I remember correctly, but they had dual brakes, so make sure to get the right side. If you haven't tried yet, you might post it up on www.2strokeworld.com, it is a 2 stroke specific forum and mostly Yamaha's. You also might be able to get a brand new one from MikesXS.com

And you are absolutely correct about them being hard to find, most Daytona parts are very difficult to get a hold of......it took me 6 months to locate a left side cover for mine. Be patient, one will show up eventually. Any pics of your Daytona?
79' Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special "The Daytona"
74' Yamaha RD350 "The Little Hot Rod"...currently under the knife.
02' Aprilia Capo Nord "The Mighty Ape"
93' Kawasaki KZ1000 Police cafe' "Snoopy"

Have a good and Godly day, for what lasting value is a good day if it is not also a Godly day?

vmontijo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 10:50:49 PM »
Hi Rick - thanks for the warm welcome and thoughts! When I said I got the RD400F about 20 years ago, that part was true... I have never ridden it since I bought it "not running" It kicks through fine, but the previous owner said the carbs were gunked up inside. No worries for me - I am a well experienced restorer of old Japanese bikes - have done over 25 of them, and currently have 33 bikes. Almost all 2-stroke street bikes from the 60's and 70's... and almost all of the Suzuki's. A few of my favorite Yamaha's (the rival!) found their way into my collection though - this RD400 Daytona and an RZ350. The "crown jewels" of my collection are my "family" of Suzuki Gamma's... The king of them all is my beloved RG500 (100% bone stock!) which I have had for 25 years... rode it lots through the 90's... not so much after acquiring a wife and kids. But through it all I kept all my cycles, got rid of the wife, and now my kids are 17/19 and giving me back some time to spend with my "two-wheeled family". I don't have a picture of my RD400F yet - its packed in under blankets and between other bikes in the back of my largish garage - so not very accessible for photos at the moment.  Attached you will see my RG family - the RG500, an RG250, a very rare RG125 and even rarer RG50 - the baby Gamma. I did the paint on all three smaller RG's (the 500 is original paint). Don't exactly "love" the dark blue/red of the RG250, but its the Walter Wolf version and my buddy convinced me to keep it its original paint scheme. The RG125 and RG50 are "custom paint jobs" meant to match the RG500 for a proper "family photo" opportunity! They sure are fun... I love all things 2-stroke and I know the RD400F will actually be a great commuter bike for my 8-mile ride to work. Also attached a picture of a 1968 G6 Yamaha I restored and painted... sold it to a buddy now... Cheers... I will keep looking for the RD400F caliper... Regretfully I don't think the XS-400 is the same caliper either (different part number)... Cheers and thanks for your thoughts! Please spread the word! Victor!
PS - tried to attach a photo but file is too large 490kB - max is apparently 192kB...  :( :-[

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 07:11:45 AM »
Holy smoke! <- pun intended  8) You have quite the collection, cant wait to see pics of the Gamma's. You might try photobucket or one of the other photo hosting/sharing sites to post up your pics, most on here use them since it is much easier to get pics on.
79' Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special "The Daytona"
74' Yamaha RD350 "The Little Hot Rod"...currently under the knife.
02' Aprilia Capo Nord "The Mighty Ape"
93' Kawasaki KZ1000 Police cafe' "Snoopy"

Have a good and Godly day, for what lasting value is a good day if it is not also a Godly day?