Author Topic: Finally killed my Ural?  (Read 3591 times)

mechanista

• The OTHER Rick
    • View Profile
Finally killed my Ural?
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:23:10 PM »
So I've been doing some projects in the shop that required me to park the Ural in the driveway, outside for a few days.
I went to start it up today at noon and it, at first, acted like it didn't want to turn over. It finally began cranking ok, but ran like crap, firing on only one cylinder. I only ran it for about 20 seconds, then decided to not run it anymore till I checked deeper.
I could tell it wasn't hitting on the port-side cylinder, so I knelt down to look and realized there was water pouring out of that exhaust pipe drain hole! DAMNIT!!!
I drained the crankcase and got about as much water as oil. The port-side carb was full of water, and the air inlet pipe had water in it as well. The air cleaner seems to have been where the water came in, but how? I have ridden this thing in torrential downpours and have left it in the rain before, with no problems.
I flushed and dried everything, filled 'er back up with essential fluids. I put in new plugs and fuel filters too, just 'cause I never have before.
I just ran it around downtown and it runs and sounds good.
I can't believe that much water was from rain, or grand-kids playing "gas station" with the garden hose?
Will it cough out a piston in the Utah desert soon?
Who are the grateful dead? And why do they keep following me?

Chris

• View Profile
Re: Finally killed my Ural?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:39:36 PM »
Hey those things are like Kalashnikovs, you can put them together under water, fill then with mud and they still fire  ;)
So they say, but of course I have no idea what I'm talking about  ???
I do believe I read somewhere that they are self healing though, or maybe that's just Hondas . Either way I bet it's fine  :)

buggiebuggie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:26:27 AM »
It should be fine if it fired and ran without smoking... I would run it awhile at full operating temp so that any residual H2O can evaporate out... Run it.. check the underside of your oil filler plug and make sure there is no "chocolate milk" looking goo there and you should be good... Ride on my friend! So... just in case you didn't catch my advice, you NEED to take that machine on a long ride, real soon!

mechanista

• The OTHER Rick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 12:46:15 PM »
Yeah, I rode it for about an hour in town and warmed it up really well to cook out any remaining moisture.
I really do need another road trip, though.
Who are the grateful dead? And why do they keep following me?

buggiebuggie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
I'm ready when you are my friend...

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 10:53:54 AM »
Count me in, I'll bring my slowest bike  ;D

rickc

• View Profile