Author Topic: Flash rust preventative  (Read 2790 times)

Dirty Steve

• View Profile
Flash rust preventative
« on: March 01, 2015, 09:22:15 PM »
Hi all,
I'm going to seal my gas tank and have decided to skip the Kreem route in favor of a new sealer by Caswell. The only hitch is Caswell doesn't offer a solvent that will prevent the flash rust that forms after you clean and rinse the tank. My question is will isopropryl alcohol or some other cheap solvent do the trick?

buggiebuggie

• View Profile
Re: Flash rust preventative
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 09:15:48 AM »
I know Rick has used the Caswell kits with wonderful success. I have used the Kreem kit and the POR kits... The only advice, and I think Rick would give you the same advice, is follow the instructions to a T... don't try to add steps or skip steps... read the instructions... follow the instructions and you will have a clean, properly sealed and durable tank when you are finished.

Dirty Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 05:37:43 PM »
Sounds like good advice. I've heard Caswell actually bonds better if the tank's a little dirty anyway.
Thanks for your reply Buggie.

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »
Yup, I have installed several Caswell kits with great success. Brian is 100% correct in saying to follow the directions exactly, no more, no less. The tank lining kits that fail are because the prep was not done correctly. Caswell has a great reputation for being the best in the market. Just take your time and it is easy. As far as the tank being a little dirty, make sure it is CLEAN. Flash rust is not a problem if you install the liner as soon as the cleaning solvent is dry. Piece O cake !
79' Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special "The Daytona"
74' Yamaha RD350 "The Little Hot Rod"...currently under the knife.
02' Aprilia Capo Nord "The Mighty Ape"
93' Kawasaki KZ1000 Police cafe' "Snoopy"

Have a good and Godly day, for what lasting value is a good day if it is not also a Godly day?