Author Topic: A very big project  (Read 7523 times)

buggiebuggie

• View Profile
A very big project
« on: August 19, 2014, 07:10:50 PM »
So here is the story... and it's a good one, so hang in there.

Today, an older gentleman came into work looking for a class B RV. We went out and started chatting and looking through coaches. He was having a tough time getting around so we decided to sit and visit in one of the larger coaches.  The subject of trade-ins came up and he said he had a couple old cars and an old motorcycle to sell. Naturally, I asked about the bike.

He said he was going to sell it a few times before but backed out when the perspective buyers told him they wanted to restore it back to stock and change all the things he loved about it.. the fairing (an early Peele unit), his home made luggage rack with nickel finish, and the "proper" Bates bags.

Anyway, he then told me the only thing he had done and didn't fix himself was a transmission build in 1992. He pulled out his wallet and produced a card from the shop that did the work... He flipped through a worn pile of cards to pull out a yellowed card from Gene's Cycle Service in Richmond, Virginia. " That transmission works great, but that old guy charged me an arm and a leg!" 

I asked him to flip over the card, on the back was MY NAME! It was a tranny I rebuilt while working for Gene in Richmond! After 22 years I run into the guy with this bike in Grand Junction, CO!!!!!!

So... he wants me to come see it and he really wants me to have the bike. This is where stage one of the project begins. I am having a fire sale of all my current projects to get this bike. It's an ambitious goal, but I absolutely have to make this happen. I feel like there is a reason that this guy came in with this bike and handed me my card. I will reveal the model, make and year of this bike if it happens.. NO.. WHEN it happens.. otherwise, I'll just be the guy that couldn't pull this off.

Anyway.. if you need anything for your projects or you want another project please let me know.. I use parts sales and abor to ay for my sickness... I have parts.. lots of them for... 1979 Honda CB750K, 1971 Honda Z50, 1966 and 1969 Honda S90, 1969 CT90, 1973 MGB, 1969-71 Honda CL175, and all manners of lights, turn signals, a few RD400 parts, spare/stray gas tanks, wheels, just ask.

This is going to happen but I need to come up with some cash quickly. I ebay stuff but it is taking too long. If you want something, or just want to buy something to make this happen, let me know.. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

So... HERE WE GO!

buggiebuggie

• View Profile
Re: A very big project
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:05:15 PM »
Oh, almost forgot.. I've got a complete, titled, BMW R100T with two engines, transmissions, parts out the yingyang, including rare, bar mount accessory clock and voltometer... Now you know how much I want this ultimate barn find.

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 09:26:54 PM »
My brother, it had better be something like a Vincent Black Shadow to offer up for sale the R100 AND the Z50!  :o
79' Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special "The Daytona"
74' Yamaha RD350 "The Little Hot Rod"...currently under the knife.
02' Aprilia Capo Nord "The Mighty Ape"
93' Kawasaki KZ1000 Police cafe' "Snoopy"

Have a good and Godly day, for what lasting value is a good day if it is not also a Godly day?

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 10:00:03 PM »
That's a cool story, to bad you don't have an old Guzzi laying around.... the suspense is killing us, those fairings were made in the 60's I think so it's gotta be good ! 

buggiebuggie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 04:24:45 AM »
Well, Rick, it isn't a Shadow, and if I can  make it happen without losing the R100, I would be more than happy. The R100 would go well with it. ::) I also have to temper my enthusiasm. Ultimately, I haven't seen the bike yet. Even if it isn't everything the owner says it is (accessories, condition, blah blah blah), I am interested and want it just because of my previous connection to it and to my old riding buddy Gene.

rickc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 06:06:47 PM »
how bout some pic's of the R 100  ;)   

buggiebuggie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »
I'm rethinking the R100, Rick ;)... They would go so well together!

I did go see the bike today. It doesn't have a Peele fairing, it has a 1964 Ceco fairing.. actually much rare than the Peele. It has Buco bags. So.. not what he said, but I'm still in the hunt. He wants to get it running himself, one last time before relinquishing ownership. Stay tuned, this is getting interesting (at least to me :P).

GJ Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 10:35:57 PM »
I'm almost scared to ask but do you still have the Honda 175? If so, what is your asking price?

buggiebuggie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 08:45:46 AM »
I am restoring CL175 for a friend... the restoration has turned into simply replacing every part on the bike :o... I don't have a complete bike but a bunch of spares and used parts that I will never use. If you had a 175 then we should talk.. if you WANT a 175 then you are not ready to talk (unless you want me to talk you out of something). :o

buggiebuggie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 02:09:46 PM »
Well... looks like this is going to come together without the need to completely pillage my stash of projects. I will have a musclecar to sell since it's a package deal. The bike is the important part of this deal though...

buggiebuggie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 08:51:09 AM »
Thanks Rick for helping get my "new" bike out of my truck... Oh, and it was great seeing you, too.

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 12:46:12 PM »
My pleasure, any time spent with the Soule-man is time well spent  8) I cant wait to see your new stallion on the road!

Have a good and Godly day, for what lasting value is a good day if it is not also a Godly day?

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 12:55:24 PM »
Oh, and thanks for the fuel line  ;D

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »
so where's the pic of your new beemer?

buggiebuggie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 11:34:08 AM »
Here she is in my truck just as I found her... Ceco fairing, Buco bags, 1949 6v Indian driving lights.. lots of dust but all original paint in really nice shape.

After Rick helped me get her back to earth and I was able to strip off the touring stuff until I get her running... I kind of like the naked look.. The fairing and bags are pretty simple to install and take off so it may go both ways... so to speak.

I am trying to figure out what to do with the seat... it does have a couple small cracks and the foam is "stale" but it's original.. Maybe clean, condition, use as is and have a solo seat to switch off as well. Anyway, got to get her purring like a kitten first!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 12:44:53 PM by buggiebuggie »