Author Topic: Weekend trip to Vintage Bike Show in Golden  (Read 1678 times)

Chris

• View Profile
Weekend trip to Vintage Bike Show in Golden
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:20:11 PM »
My son Nick and I took an early Fathers Day ride to the Vintage Bike Show in Golden.
Leaving Hotchkiss at 8am last Sat. we went over Mc.Lure Pass, Independence Pass to Leadville, then Freemont Pass to Frisco.
Trying to stay off I 70 as much as possible we skirted the back side of Dillon Lake and up over
Loveland Pass and on the frontage Road to Idaho Springs. The "Oh my god road" out of there
up to Central City is steep and winding, but not as bad as I remembered. Central City and
Black Hawk are not my thing and we couldn't wait to get on the Peak to Peak Highway for some
fast twisties. Hyw 110 took us down to Boulder where we spend the night in the areas oldest
little log cabin Motel.
Sunday morning we finally rode down to Heritage Square for the show. Well over a hundred bikes
were on display. Our favorites were a 1945 Ariel Square Four and a Triumph X75 Hurricane.
And about fifty others...
At about 2pm we realized it was going to be close to make it home for dinner by 6 so off we went
on I 70 for the quickest route home. Almost zero traffic between Carbondale and Paonia made
for a great ending of a great weekend.   
And we almost made it for dinner.....

mechanista

• The OTHER Rick
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend trip to Vintage Bike Show in Golden
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 08:31:55 AM »
 :'( I am jealous!
Who are the grateful dead? And why do they keep following me?

Blanketchief

• View Profile
Re: Weekend trip to Vintage Bike Show in Golden
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 04:53:02 PM »
Man, that does sound like great fun.  I am sorry to miss the Ariel Square Four.  I have only seen pictures of it but a friend in high school had, what I remember as, an Ariel single.