Author Topic: 92' KZ1000 Police Cafe' Project  (Read 52381 times)

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 93' KZT100P Cafe' Project
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »
Thanks guys! As far as the color of this beast, if you know me, you also know that my mind changes just about every day regarding it. At first, it was to maintain the origanal cop color scheme, but then I was thinking yellow, then it went to red-I have always wanted a Ducati red motorcycle, then back to white...or was it orange?, anyways, as it stands right now I am back to the origanal white w/ black accents. Ponch and John would approve of these colors  C:-) 

Matthew, start a build thread and get up some pics! Cant wait to see your progress  O0

79' Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special "The Daytona"
74' Yamaha RD350 "The Little Hot Rod"...currently under the knife.
02' Aprilia Capo Nord "The Mighty Ape"
93' Kawasaki KZ1000 Police cafe' "Snoopy"

Have a good and Godly day, for what lasting value is a good day if it is not also a Godly day?

Chiefa

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 08:29:24 AM »
I'm planning to have pics up this weekend of the ole' girl in her current running status. I only have a an hour a day and the weekends to work on her but I will have the pics posted as I go. Any suggestions on parts or places to buy parts is always welcome. I have been looking at some of the cafe racer sights and I have a few ideas, but of course i'm changing my mind on everything every day.

Elkmountain

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 09:39:38 AM »
Looking great show us some more pictures please!
Do you still have the police tank and would you like to sell it? It looked to be in good shape. Mine has many dents and I am a newbie at body work.

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 10:16:11 PM »
Sorry Mr. Elk, tank is gone, and yes, it was in pretty much perfect shape. Pretty much just about all of the police trim is gone now. Tanks can be a nightmare if they have many dents, and easy to mess up, better to have a professional get the big dents/creases out, then the small ones are easy to deal with.

I really havent done much to it since the last pics except mount the forks and swinger (new bearings of course). And just because you asked so nicely (not to mention that I love to show my stuff off.......), I snapped a couple pics tonight:

Ooh, shiny new bolts and stuff:

Have a good and Godly day, for what lasting value is a good day if it is not also a Godly day?

Elkmountain

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 10:41:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply on the tank. I will just deal with mine.

All I can say is WOW! The bike is going to be a winner!!!!!!

KSV2468

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 09:27:43 PM »
Are you thinking of selling your cafe seat pans? If so how much would one go for?

curtscustoms

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 11:35:20 PM »
Looks sweet man.

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 06:11:33 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.

KSV, the seat is very specific to the KZ Police frame. I did alter the mold a bit to make one for another members bike though. There are a lot of seats out there, and probably some that are specific for your application, and cost would be close to the same. We would have to look at your frame to see if mine would even fit.

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Ok, so finances (or should I say: "lack there of")  have taken their nasty toll, and my KZ project has sat with no attention at all for quite a while now. So, with my self perpetuated (sp?) need to at least do something on it, I said to myself: "self, start taking the motor apart, it is free". And since I always listen to myself, I started to pull the lump side covers and make use of that certificate to the powder coaters before it expires. And who wants to stop with the covers? Not me!

Behold, the top end removed to check things out. Oh, and when I drained the oil, it was half fuel/half oil...is that bad? he he:

Oh my, is that carbon build up really that bad? Why yes, yes it is:

And here it will sit for who knows how long before I can make it all purdy and stuff:

When I removed a link out of the cam chain, a couple of the pieces fell through the block into the bottom end, ha ha, this gives me the excuse to split the cases and do this motor propper! Ok, lets all together say: "1075 kit"     bwahahahaha.......eventually :)

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 07:20:36 PM »
Searching through my big box of parts to find a thing or two that will cost me very minimal to do, I figured that I could put on the gauges and ignition switch. Cleaned and a fresh coat of paint. I will also be making an aluminum dash plate that will hold the turn indicator lights, start button, and kill switch:

Then a stop to Pacific Steel landed me a free peice of 1/16th" aluminum to make my inner rear fender. The reflection from the camera sorta takes away from the coolness of it, but here it is: (oh, and disregaurd the ugliness of the shocks, they too will recieve a complete makeover in due time....or ditched for a set of piggy backs....bwahahahah)

The biggest problem, is that if you notice, the speedo only goes to 120, and the tach redlines at 8500....rest assured, these are mearly "suggestions"  C:-)

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 07:37:01 PM »
Ha ha, stay tuned for some pics of my shiny new paint! Yup, Ive been a little busy with my paint gun.........

Waiting for some clip on handlebars I bought from the U.K. to show up before I post up the new pics, so you juss gonna have to wait  :))

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 93' KZ1000 Police Cafe' Project
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2011, 10:16:14 AM »
Ok, as promised, here are some fresh pics  O0 The bodywork I sprayed with DuPont Chroma Base, and Nasson Clear. The wheels I used DuPont black satin Imron (this stuff is killer!). The motor covers are powder coated a brownish bronze color by Pro Powder Coaters. At this point I only have maybe a couple small items to paint, but for the most part, all the color is now on the bike or the parts. As for the front fender, I have a Vulcan fender ready to paint, but not sure it is going to "fit" the look of the bike, so I am looking for a smaller faster front fender. I just love looking at this bike so far  :)) Oh yeah, pay no attention to the hideous looking rear shocks, they will be replaced by hopefully some Redwing Hammer Heads for that vintage race look, or if I win the lottery, some Ohlins or Race Tech piggy backs..........Enjoy!

Masking for the stripes:

Time for clear coat:

Oh yeah!:

New clip ons from SES Racing out of the U.K. Fantastic quality, and I hope to purchase a set of their rear sets when the time comes:

The rear fender and the electronic mounting plate. All of the electro's will be tucked away and nicely hidden under the seat, giving this bike a very minimalistic look:

Bodywork on:

Wheels, motor covers, sort of gives the idea of the finished look:

rickc

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 10:13:47 PM »
Rick........ you are a true artist 8)

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 09:50:30 AM »
I have mentioned that this has been one of the most enjoyable projects that I have done, and have been asked why, welp, here is the conclusion that I have come up with:

The "cafe' racer" concept is to make your motorcycle personal, make it YOUR bike. There is no rules, no formulas, no guild lines,  and no stockness, it is simply your interpretation of what you consider the best way to make your motorcycle perform and look. It doesnt matter if you have parts from 18 different motorcycles on it, or if nobody else likes it, you build it for yourself and what you want. Color? What is cool to you? flames? sure, Stripes? sure, Sky blue pink with purple polka dot stripes? sure, it is your bike! Make it light, make it fast, make it look as cool as possible, make it yours  O0

So there ya have it, I am having a blast with this project, and the fact that you all have been so kind with compliments makes it even more enjoyable. I cant wait to ride it to our bike nights  >:D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:51:57 PM by Rick »

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 04:20:37 PM »
Just a quick shot I had my wonderful bride take so I could see what the preliminary riding position looks like. Of course I will still need to determine the position of the rear sets, but wont do that til I have the wheels on. This is a big bike, and so far I feel very comfortable with the riding position and it is turning out just how I had planned, however, a smaller rider will probably not like it so much.