Author Topic: 92' KZ1000 Police Cafe' Project  (Read 52409 times)

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
92' KZ1000 Police Cafe' Project
« on: December 23, 2010, 04:25:18 PM »
So this is what I have occupying my work bench right now. Thanks to Craig for the donor Kawasaki Police Special! And now let the "De Police-i-fi-cation" begin.....

When I got the old girl into my garage:

After some elimination of "unnecessary" bits:

A couple of non Kawi parts, ie: Yamaha XS tank (thanks Rick!), and an old set of bent clubman bars I had laying around just to get my vision going. Also a cardboard cut out for the profile of the seat I want to make:

Now that I finally have full vision for this project, time to start making the seat. I first started with a hunk of high grade molding foam, cut out the basic shape, and added some controll lines:

Finished shaping the foam, had it hard coated, lots of bondo filling and sanding, then I primed it with epoxy primer. Now it is ready to make the fiberglass mold off of it:

Starting to lay up the glass with the help of Rick (yes, we have a lot of Rick's!), and the finished mold:

Ok, after all of that mold work, voila! I have a finished seat! Here is what it looks like just loosely setting on the bike. Also note more de tabbing of the frame, and general de-police-i-fi-cation:

Well, there it is for now....Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:00:54 PM by Rick »
79' Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special "The Daytona"
74' Yamaha RD350 "The Little Hot Rod"...currently under the knife.
02' Aprilia Capo Nord "The Mighty Ape"
93' Kawasaki KZ1000 Police cafe' "Snoopy"

Have a good and Godly day, for what lasting value is a good day if it is not also a Godly day?

TurboDogsDad

• View Profile
Re: 93' KZT100P Cafe' Project
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 07:25:12 PM »
Looking good, Rick(s). I'm sure you've discovered the hard way by now to be careful what you touch after working with the glass :-(  My mom washed my underwear with fiberglass drapes when I was in eighth grade, happened to be the day we were supposed to learn about the Dewey Decimal system. I was so busy scratching and thinking I had a skin disease I still don't know how to find a book in the library..

nojibski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 06:17:52 PM »
Looking good, Rick(s). I'm sure you've discovered the hard way by now to be careful what you touch after working with the glass :-(  My mom washed my underwear with fiberglass drapes when I was in eighth grade, happened to be the day we were supposed to learn about the Dewey Decimal system. I was so busy scratching and thinking I had a skin disease I still don't know how to find a book in the library..
my face hurts from laughing so hard!!!

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 06:12:27 PM »
He he, me likes to take stuff apart  :o Now I can really start to work on the frame. Mostly just need to weld on some rearset bracket mounts, tank mounts, and seat mounts. I am also going to "X" brace the frame on the down tubes above the swinger pivots, and add a lower loop brace to the bottom of the swing arm. Piece o cake. As soon as I get those items done and do a little grinding to make the frame nice and smooth, it will go off to the powder coaters.

Oh, and if the motor looks heavy to you, trust me, it is. I was also pleasantly suprised to find the roller bearings in the steering, and the needle bearings in the swingarm in very good condition.

I decided to stick with the cop theme, and do black/white paint with gold pinstripe to seperate the colors. Anyone know a good pinstriper? Ha ha, just kidding Gigi! I would never let anyone but you pinstripe this bike :) I will also have Gigi do some gold lettering on the seat that says "To Protect, and To Serve". I like it!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:50:57 PM by Rick »

Have a good and Godly day, for what lasting value is a good day if it is not also a Godly day?

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:45:10 PM »
A little grinding on the frame this weekend. I also thaught I would "press" out the swingarm needle bearings, now I need new swingarm bearings  :-[

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 06:32:42 PM »
Making some sparks, and a little Denco style bracing. The X bracing is just tacked in place right now, I'll weld it solid hopefully tomorrow. The bracing starts just above the swingarm pivot, so this should add s lot of lateral stiffness to the frame.....I hope ???

mechanista

• The OTHER Rick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 07:16:57 PM »
Amos finished your other brackets about a week ago. I keep forgetting to call you!
Who are the grateful dead? And why do they keep following me?

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 06:40:09 PM »
Almost done with the frame, I brought it back to the garage to make sure my bracing and other mods work with chain clearances and such. Mocked up the rear wheel, swinger, shocks, etc. to check, and looks like I need to do a little tweaking  :-[ My inner fender mount on the bottom is going to have to move, and my lower left side of the X brace clears by about 1/4 inch with the rear end compressed by about 2 1/2". Oh well, I thaught I had more clearance with the chain, but no biggie.

Whilst I had everything in one big pile, I wieghed it all. I was really hoping to see the completed machine wiegh in at around 450 lbs dry. With all the components, I am happy to say that it wieghs in at 432 lbs! and that is with the heavy tires. I figure I might drop a few more pounds with some better tires, but will add a couple with a new chain and some misc parts that were no present (battery, etc.). So, saying all that, I should still weigh in at mid 430 lbs, not too bad since it started out as an over weight police cruiser!

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 06:50:22 PM »
Oh yeah, I love it when a plan comes together! Just a little bit more very minor trimming on the seat, and volia! When I was making the mold for the seat, I knew that I would be very close to what I wanted, and figured that I might need some more fiberglass work to dial it in, but dang! I nailed it on the first try, a guy might think that I did stuff like this for a living  ;D

All my bracing and brackets are done, and the final mock up with the motor/swinger/wheel, etc. is also done and checked off the list. Next up is to get this frame to Pro Powder Coaters for some of their fantastic work!

Have I mentioned that I am having a blast with this project? Thanks again Craig for the donor  8)

nojibski

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 06:50:22 AM »
looks like you modified your x-brace, clearence issues? chain?
i really like how it looks, prolly work good too!
dang, that seat tank fit is sweet!!!!
cant wait to see it after powdercoating

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 08:58:45 AM »
Side shot:

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 10:16:58 PM »
Just got word from Pro Powder Coaters that my frame and fork parts are done....woohoo! Also got the tank, seat, and front fender primed ad ready for paint.

Pics soon  8)

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »
Yee Haw! I got goodies back from Pro Powder, and I primed my body work. I am so stoked with this project so far, I just keep going into the garage to look at it. Hopefully I will get the swinger bearings and a couple other small bits ordered up in the next week so I can start getting it back together. It is still going to be a while til it is ripping up the streets, but for now, I am enjoying every bit of this build.

rickc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 09:55:11 PM »
WOW !! what a talent to be able to make a seat like you did,,,,, Nice..... cant wait to see more pic's as you move along  what color ya going with on the bike ?? I to have made many trips to the garage ----- to look  ;)       see you at coffee........

Chiefa

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »
WOW!!! Thats awesome Rick!!!
I can only hope mine will turn out as beautiful!
I'm realy going to need your help when I get to doing the seat, that fit is perfect man! Your build has me excited for my own build and I haven't even started it yet!!

That powder coat is fantastic and good job on the body primer!! What colors are you going with for the body?