Author Topic: Do You Need Some Help Or Special Tool?  (Read 9243 times)

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Do You Need Some Help Or Special Tool?
« on: June 04, 2011, 05:06:28 PM »
This is one of the reasons we are here, to help each other out. I am very thankfull that I have been able to call on a few of you guys when I needed some help, or a special tool, and I'm thrilled when someone asks me for help.

So, if there is anything that we can help out with, post up what you need and maybe, just maybe, there is someone who will lend a hand or a tool.

Rick
79' Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special "The Daytona"
74' Yamaha RD350 "The Little Hot Rod"...currently under the knife.
02' Aprilia Capo Nord "The Mighty Ape"
93' Kawasaki KZ1000 Police cafe' "Snoopy"

Have a good and Godly day, for what lasting value is a good day if it is not also a Godly day?

KSV2468

I Need Some Help.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 09:15:31 PM »
I was wondering if there was anyone out there that could help declutter the wiring on my bike. I'm not running turn signals or a horn so my left bar switch is completly useless except for the high/low beam switch. I'd also like to move the starter switch and the run/off switch under the seat or at least off the bar. Im not sure what i can get rid of under the seat but if i could simplify it to just a battery that would be good. I have a 1980 suzuki gs550 thats going in the direction of a cafe racer or bobber direction.
I'm a bit of a nube at all this, any help would be great. Thanks. Ken.

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Need Some Help Or Special Tool?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:09:41 AM »
Does any one have a blind bearing puller? I am taking out wheel bearings.

Have a good and Godly day, for what lasting value is a good day if it is not also a Godly day?

marsupial

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
I'm looking to borrow a spoke wrench to straighten my Sportster's rear wheel.  Not sure what size though.

Clyde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 11:15:15 AM »
   Im wanting to convert from berrings and races to cone berrings I dont know how far below the rim to seat the races and dont want to tear it apart and get stuck. any one with experience?

LOKTYTID

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 06:23:41 PM »
   Im wanting to convert from berrings and races to cone berrings I dont know how far below the rim to seat the races and dont want to tear it apart and get stuck. any one with experience?

Well, that depends on where you are installing the bearings.  First of all---are you changing out "ball roller" 1-piece sealed bearings and will be attempting to replace with 2-piece cup and cone type? 
   Normally yes you can do this for the steering head bearings but not for the wheel bearings.  I am thinking you are speaking about the steering head.  The cup and cone bearing set will probably be a wee bit larger/thicker than the ball roller type.--No problem-  Leave the center spacer out---not needed---unless you intend to try and "shim" to achieve the free-play-clearance you want.  Otherwise--you adjust to 'FEEL".  That is--no free play but still loose so the forks will roll to the left and the right under it's own weight--wheel off the ground.
   Not that big a chore---use good bearings---a good lithium waterproof grease and install a cap on the bottom and top bearings for a dust shield--you may need to place a large flat washer on the cones--each end in order to get them to adjust properly---you need to preload the bearings once installed  for them to work properly.

There is nothing wrong with the ball-roller bearing set up as the OEM installed for most situations and most riders.  The cup and cone "tapered" bearing set up will not be that noticeable unless you are in race mode and desire more stability while engaging in extreme lean angles.  This is where the loads on the standard ball roller bearings are least efficient and the tapered rollers are --due to their design--they can take the side loading better.

Many new bikes today have ball roller type installed---run at speeds most of us will never experience while  doing this at extreme lean angles.

Hope this helps.

KSV2468

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 08:02:03 PM »
I want to bend a rear loop for cafe racer but i cant find some one that will bend my 1'' dom tubing. Does anyone know how I can accomplish this? Do you know anyone that can bend this?

Thanks. Ken.

rickc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 08:31:06 PM »
 muffler shop ?

LOKTYTID

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 08:45:21 PM »
Scotty's  muffler may be one shop---they bend quite a few exhaust systems---make a template of the bends and runs so they can bend and fit to the template---must be full scale showing side view and top view if compound bends involved.

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 08:50:52 PM »
I have a buddy with an off road fab shop, he has bent several pieces of tubing for me. I can hook you up with him if you want.

KSV2468

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 10:52:41 PM »
Yeah Rick I'll take you up on that. Im sure it would be a snap, it's 8 3/4 u. Number? Thanks.

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 08:50:24 PM »
Custom Seat
I'm having some trouble getting a custom seat done. Not wanting to go all the way to junction I found someone in Delta with good intentions but he obviously doesn't know how to build a seat. Anyone have any suggestions for someone who understands motorcycle seats, foam density and bony butts  ;D ? I'm using the heavily modified stock pan and want the cafe style hump build up from foam.   Thanks

motocyguy

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 09:02:02 PM »
Hey Kris, everybody I've talked to had only good things to say about Erv's Upholstery in Junction, google it. Having fun with your cafe, i hope! robyn's passing cars through turns now, and that little 305 is pretty peppy with her 100 lbs on it! Having a ball and would have been down to see you but they've just been working her fingers to the bone. If ever you're at the meet and I'm not there, text me because I am always torn between the meet and watching Batman and Get Smart!

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 07:52:29 AM »
Thanks, I have talked to Erv's and hopefully will drop the seat off on sat. before the ride. See ya then.

MiataManiacMike

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 08:30:57 AM »
Hello all!

I'm a new guy on here, but after talking with Rick in person, he recommended that I ask on this forum for anybody in the area that might have a manometer (vacuum gauge).  My bike has 4 carbs, but it can be done with a manometer that only has two sets of hoses.  Any help would be appreciated!

Mike