Author Topic: Yamaha XS750  (Read 498 times)

rickc

• View Profile
Yamaha XS750
« on: February 21, 2017, 08:39:54 PM »
Ive been working on this bike for a few weeks, found a "cafe" type tank for it in Colorado Springs and it will be here in a few days, cleaned and painted wheels and frame, trimmed off a few things, cut off the frame ends and will install a new frame loop when it gets here,added a couple dunlops, replaced the steering bearings, and some upside down clubmans,will be looking for seat ideas soon  ::wrench

rickc

• View Profile
Re: Yamaha XS750
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 08:38:13 AM »
Well my new (old) tank came, with a few more dents than I was told about so now comes the task of getting them out, anybody know of a tool that I can get to pull a couple dents, Ive read about the harbor freight glue gun type any one use it before ?

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha XS750
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 07:56:07 PM »
The hot glue type really does not work very well on thicker walled steel...like fuel tanks. Best way is paintless dent tools, or weld on studs to the outside of the tank. Either of those methods will damage the lining in the tank, but if it needs a new liner then that isnt a problem. I have had great success on dents in tanks with paintless dent tools, and have made a couple specific for tanks out of some 3/8" rod.
79' Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special "The Daytona"
74' Yamaha RD350 "The Little Hot Rod"...currently under the knife.
02' Aprilia Capo Nord "The Mighty Ape"
93' Kawasaki KZ1000 Police cafe' "Snoopy"

Have a good and Godly day, for what lasting value is a good day if it is not also a Godly day?