Author Topic: Speedo / Tach redo  (Read 1597 times)

AirMango

• View Profile
Speedo / Tach redo
« on: January 05, 2017, 06:51:55 PM »
Hi all:
Just joined in, like what I see so far. Would love some ideas or suggestions for what to do between my wrists. Classy, single clock and triple tree treatment.

Rick Barnes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Speedo / Tach redo
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 07:17:11 PM »
Welcome aboard! Beemer looks fantastic and definitely worthy of a dancing banana  :banana

Are you wanting digital or analog gauges?
79' Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special "The Daytona"
74' Yamaha RD350 "The Little Hot Rod"...currently under the knife.
02' Aprilia Capo Nord "The Mighty Ape"
93' Kawasaki KZ1000 Police cafe' "Snoopy"

Have a good and Godly day, for what lasting value is a good day if it is not also a Godly day?

buggiebuggie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 08:18:00 PM »
Nice airhead, and welcome. Have you considered retrofitting a /5 or earlier headlight with the speedo in the housing? There are even a bunch of less spendy Ural units that combine the headlight housing and speedo. I've even thought of doing away with the clocks altogether and mounting up the cell phone with a speedo AP when I ride.

AirMango

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 09:16:19 PM »
Thanks for Mr. B  :banana
Good thought, single tach ok with me and have seen nice combo units as well. Does a speedo app qualify in the eye of the court?

AirMango

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 09:22:25 PM »
Rick, I lean toward analogue. I'm wanting a little British flavor. BTW, i once owned that little yellow Norton.

rickc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 10:21:08 PM »
Great lookin B for sure,, R80 ? I pretty much finished my 75/6 got to ride it through the hood a few times before the snow. I started messin with my R80 rt got a few ideas for it (if I decied to keep it) Welcome to the group...

2slow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 11:33:55 PM »
A working tach and speedo and headlight housing from a /5 is boo coo bucks their getting pretty scarce didn't some of the 50's triumphs have a speedo in the headlight? always good to have another airhead around :cool

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 08:13:56 AM »
How about getting an old single headlight/speedo bucket from an old Allstate or something odd and cheap and sticking the BMW speedo  and headlight in it ? I have an Allstate headlight unit which looks a lot like the one on my /5. Sorry, can't part with it since it's part of our yard
ornament.   On my rat bike i used a headlight bucket off a 37 international truck and a Honda Sealed beam fit in it perfectly. Cut a hole for a speedo and you're done ! I never felt I needed a tach on the old Beemer...

mechanista

• The OTHER Rick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »
Ural headlamp and speedo would work too!
Who are the grateful dead? And why do they keep following me?

2slow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 11:20:55 PM »
I read somewhere that there is an older Ural headlight bucket that has a bigger opening that will take the /5 speedo and tach